Statement related to the protection of privacy at the Ecomuseum Zoo
The following statement related to the protection of privacy at the Ecomuseum Zoo aims to inform readers about the types of personal information collected, used and disclosed by the Saint-Lawrence Valley Natural History Society (hereinafter referred to as the “Ecomuseum Zoo”). It explains how we use and disclose this information, the choices you can make in the context of its use and disclosure as well as how you can make corrections.
We care about protecting your privacy, as demonstrated by our compliance with applicable Canadian laws and regulations related to this area, notably the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Unless you specifically consent to treating information otherwise, we will process personal information in accordance with 1) the version of the statement that was in effect at the time the information was collected and 2) our confidentiality policy governing the protection of private data.
This statement applies to personal information collected or received from all sources, notably from our website, our social media accounts, by telephone, by email, by mail or in person. We invite you to read this statement related to privacy protection before disclosing personal information to us through any of these means or tools. By presenting us with personal information or by using any of the aforementioned sites, you signify your acceptance of the terms of this confidentiality policy statement.
1. Information about you
The Ecomuseum Zoo collects identifiable personal information in the following cases :
- When you want to receive the Ecomuseum Zoo’s newsletter. We will ask you for your email address via our website.
- When you want to participate in a survey, a contest or a draw. Occasionally the Ecomuseum Zoo offers the users of its website and social media accounts the opportunity to participate in a contest or draw. Information collected by the Ecomuseum Zoo in such instances may include your complete name, your email address, your country of residence and your postal code.
- When you make a donation on-line, by telephone, by mail, by mobile phone or in person at the Ecomuseum Zoo (either general donations or sponsorships), your personal information is requested. This will include your full name, your address, your telephone number and your email coordinates. Your payment information will also be requested (credit card number, cheque, draft or other methods requiring the disclosure of information).
- When you register for an Ecomuseum Zoo activity by phone or on-line on the zoo’s website, we will ask you for personal information. This will include your full name, your email address and your payment information via secured Paypal services (for credit cards). If you are registering a dependant child we will also ask you for personal information related to the child’s health and his or her Medicare card number in case of emergencies.
- When you become a member of the Ecomuseum Zoo (annual or life membership), your personal information will be required : your full name, your address, your telephone number and your email address. In the case of a family membership the same information will be required of each family member.
- When you make a purchase in the Ecomuseum Zoo’s on-line gift boutique the following personal information will be requested: your full name, your address, your telephone number and your email address. Your payment information will also be required (credit card).
2. The legal framework for the protection of personal information
The Ecomuseum Zoo’s website is published from Québec, Canada. Similarly, the zoo is located in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Québec, Canada. This policy is therefore based on the laws in force in Canada, notably the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and Québec’s Act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector.
3. Use of personal information
Identifiable personal information relates to an individual and enables his or her identification. Except in when required by law or by order of a competent court, the Ecomuseum Zoo maintains the confidentiality of personal information obtained on the users of its website, its social media accounts, its members and donors. The Ecomuseum Zoo does not sell or rent to anyone, your identifiable personal information. Information collected via the Ecomuseum Zoo website, in person, by mail or by telephone, with the consent of the user and recorded in his or her file, will be used to send the user either electronic or printed documentation, to answer requests for information, to process a reservation request, for product purchases, for donation solicitations, for subscriptions to Ecomuseum Zoo publications or electronic newsletters, for registration on mailing lists or surveys, to send parcels related to completed on-line purchases in the zoo’s gift boutique. The information helps identify the habits and interests of users in order to better serve them in the future.
4. Transmission of personal information
The Ecomuseum Zoo does not disseminate any personal information about users (internet), visitors, members or donors, unless it is used to answer a specific request made by said person or is intended for a specific purpose for which he or she has given clear consent. In addition, the confidentialilyt of electronically transmitted information is ensured by strict security measures.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ECOMUSEUM ZOO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TRANSMIT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES WITHOUTH YOUR CONSENT IN THE FOLLOWING CASES:
- If the Ecomuseum Zoo, in good faith, believes that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact for legal action, or bring legal action against someone who may hinder or harm (intentionally or unintentionally) the rights of the Ecomuseum Zoo , its properties, or the rights and properties of other users; or
- If the Ecomuseum Zoo is required to obey a court order or mandate related to an offense committed or about to be; or
- If the Ecomuseum Zoo, in good faith, believes that the law requires such disclosure, including the exchange of personal information with other companies or organisations, to prevent fraud, all in order to comply with legal requirements or regulations.
WHEN YOU PROVIDE THE ECOMUSEUM ZOO WITH IDENTIFIABLE PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR USE OF SERVICES OFFERED ON THE WEBSITE, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON, YOU AGREE TO 1) THE COLLECTION OF THIS INFORMATION BY THE ECOMUSEUM ZOO, AND 2) TO THE STORAGE OF THIS INFORMATION BY THE ECOMUSEUM ZOO FOR USE IN SUBSEQUENT APPLICATIONS.
5. Security measures
We want our visitors, zoo website and social media account users, institution members and donors, to have sufficient confidence in us to use our website and various services on site, by mail or by phone. Thus, we are committed to protecting the information we collect. The Ecomuseum Zoo has implemented a security program to protect stored information against unauthorized access.
Although efforts are made by the Ecomuseum Zoo to ensure third parties will not access or obtain personal information about you through its website, complete confidentiality and security are not guaranteed to date on the Internet. Internet communications are subject to interception, loss of alteration.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE ECOMUSEUM ZOO CANNOT BE FOUND LIABLE FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE TRANSMISSION OF CONFIDENTIAL OR PERSONAL INFORMATION VIA INTERNET AND THAT SUCH COMMUNICATIONS ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
The safeguards put in place by the Ecomuseum Zoo to protect your personal information extend to the internal use of said information. All your personal information is stored on our secured servers, located in Québec, that only authorized Ecomuseum Zoo personnel can access. In addition, the servers and softwares used to store your personal information are kept in secure locations. The Ecomuseum Zoo retains your personal information only as long as it is needed for a particular purpose or required by law. The Ecomuseum Zoo has established personal information deletion measures for information rendered unnecessary or obsolete.
6. Link to other sites
There are several areas on the Ecomuseum Zoo website that can redirect you to other websites not govern by this confidentiality policy. When you click to go to these websites this policy no longer applies. We advise you to review and consider the policies and practices related to privacy of information on third party internet sites to fully understand their procedures aiming to collect, use and disclose your personal information. Hyperlinks are provided solely for the convenience to users. In no way does the Ecomuseum Zoo control, endorse or guarantee these websites accessible from its portal. The Ecomuseum Zoo cannot be held responsible for the content or practices of these third party websites, notably with respect to the protection of privacy and personal information.
7. Changes to this policy
This policy was written by the Ecomuseum Zoo and published on its website on November 1st, 2016. The Ecomuseum Zoo reserves the right to modify and adapt this policy as a result of changes to the technological or legal environment, or simply as a result of changes to its website. Such modifications or adaptation can take place at any time at the sole discretion of the Ecomuseum Zoo without warning or prior notice. If significant changes are made to this policy or to how the zoo uses your identifiable personal information, the Ecomuseum Zoo will prominently post such changes prior to their implementation.
BY CONTINUING TO CONSULT THIS SITE AFTER UPDATES ARE PUBLISHED, YOU AGREE TO OUR USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION UNDER THE AMENDED POLICY.
8. Access to your personal information
Users can request to access, correct or cancel personal information held in their Ecomuseum Zoo file. For verifications, comments or complaints about this subject, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide information that will allow us to properly identify you. You can also do so by writing to the following address:
Saint-Lawrence Valley Natural History Society
21125 Chemin Sainte-Marie
If you do not want the Ecomuseum Zoo to use your data, please send us a message about this matter at email@example.com, or by mail at:
Saint-Lawrence Valley Natural History Society
21125 Chemin Sainte-Marie